The use of human amnion membrane (AM) and Amniotic Fluid (AF) in orthopedic surgery has increased in recent years. When it comes to pain management, modern medicine is finally breaking through with regenerative medicine. Rather than dealing with pain from arthritis and soft tissue injuries solely with treatments designed to mask pain, new advancements are working on actually repairing the tissue damage. AM or AF derived activator injections are relatively new in the field of regenerative medicine, but their role is becoming more prominent as their potential becomes apparent for musculoskeletal condition repair, Aesthetic uses (skin rejuvenation), stress urinary incontinence (SUI) and erectile dysfunction (ED). While more studies are needed to fully understand the therapeutic potential and define the appropriate applications of these tissues, basic science and clinical studies are available that indicate promising results.
Advantages of Amniotic Membrane
Amniotic membrane (AM) and Amniotic Fluid (AF) is readily available, as it is often discarded after childbirth. The use of this tissue poses no added risk to the fetus or mother, eliminating the ethical concerns associated with obtaining embryonic cells. Amniotic membrane (AM) is comprised of an extracellular matrix, which acts as a natural scaffold for cellular attachment and structural support for cells as well as collagen types I, III, IV, V, and VI, hyaluronic acid, and a host of growth factors. In addition, it possesses antimicrobial properties, including beta-defensins. AM has been shown to exert an anti-inflammatory effect by inhibiting the inflammatory cascade. Specifically, it has been shown to inhibit cytokines such as tumor necrosis factor-α in the presence of dendritic cells, as well as inhibiting transforming growth factor-beta, interleukin-8, and fibroblast proliferation. These findings indicate that amniotic membrane (AM) has the ability to dampen the “cytokine storm” that occurs after an injury in an adult, which would lead to beneficial impacts on healing and scar formation in patients.
What benefits does human amnion membrane (AM) and Amniotic Fluid (AF) treatment offer?
- Amnion Membrane (AM) and (AF) therapy is very safe and effective.
- Human AM Tissues and AF rely on naturally occurring anti-inflammatory agents and contain NO STEROIDS.
- Human AM Tissues and/or AF help lubricate the cartilage and joints since they contain hyaluronic acid (a natural lubricant of the joint)
- AM and AF contain growth factors which stimulate tissue growth which is much needed for joint repair, skin rejuvenation, muscle tissue repair and other areas of the body
- There is no risk of patient rejection with Amniotic Membrane (AM) or Amniotic Fluid (AF)
- Amniotic fluid is a highly concentrated source of growth cells. This makes it preferable over embryonic stem cells and the patient’s own stem cells (from fat or bone marrow).
Osteoarthritis, ligament, and tendon injuries are very common problems, as are stress urinary incontinence and erectile dysfunction. Amnion Membrane or Amniotic Fluid therapy for knee, feet, ankles, hips, elbows, wrist, hand, etc. is a non-surgical alternative for those who suffer from pain. Surgeries can be painful and require an extended rehabilitation time. Regenerative medicine procedures such as AM and AF therapy allow the body to heal itself by providing building blocks that stimulate the body’s natural healing processes to work.
Amnion Membrane (AM) and Amniotic Fluid (AF) from Amnion is an acellular purified human amniotic membrane allograft intended for homologous use such as providing a non-structural protective covering or buffer to various tissues. Clinical applications may include:
- Intra-Articular Injections
- Surgical Augmentation
- Non-Structural Wound Covering
- Soft Tissue Barrier
Human AM and AF from Amnion is processed using advanced methods that include purification and sterile filtration technology to remove cells and other insoluble debris. This proprietary processing technology has been verified to preserve over 400 native cytokines, growth factors, and hyaluronic acid components found in amniotic fluid.
Human Amnion Membrane (AM) and Amniotic Fluid (AF) from Amnion = quality and Safety
- 100% pure amniotic fluid with no additives or cryoprotectants
- Sterile filtration technology
- Endotoxin and USP <71> sterility testing on every lot
- 400+ cytokines and chemokines verified to be preserved in native state
- Rapid processing and purification following Cesearean section births at an American Association of Tissue Banks accredited laboratory